Searching for the elusive mom jeans in the thrift store as a plus size gal

03 February 2018
On Tuesday, I dropped in to Goodwill to search for some colourful Christmas lights for a photoshoot I did with a friend last Friday (02/02). Normally, I'm able to head straight to where I need to go -- when it's a supermarket with a familiar layout. All of the Goodwills in Indy have different layouts, so it is extremely easy for me to get distracted.

(You, thrift stores, you! I see you.)

It doesn't help that the one I went to on Tuesday, this particular location placed the jeans right smack dab in front of the door.

(Glares.)

Well, I obviously walked straight into the jeans section to see if they had a pair of the coveted mom jeans in my size.

Before we continue, I feel like I have to mention this: I've already tried a pair of mom jeans in my size, and they don't freaking fit at all. So for this trip, I decided to go up a size. I found a pair a size up from what I normally wear and thought, "Hmm, maybe this'll work." Hopped into the dressing room happy that I found a decent pair and slipped into them.

Do you think these fit?

They look like they fit, right? *laughs* They do not fit. That top is hiding the extreme muffin top that I got from squeezing into this quality pair of jeans that I had the hardest time letting go. It fit everywhere else except for around my stomach. These jeans amazed me because even though they were a size larger, they fit like a pair of jeans two sizes below mine.

Those jeans were a major confidence killer for me. I spent the night looking at how to lose the weight around my midsection (even though I already know how) along with looking into where plus size girls like myself thrift a pair of mom jeans. Let me just tell you that it was a major miss. Also, there were some Facebook comments where people said something along the lines of, "Why don't you save money and lose weight?" These types of comments were disgusting to come across, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't glance down at my tummy every now and then.

Despite being low in spirits about finding a pair of mom jeans, I tried again today on First Saturday Goodwill where everything is half off. I found a pair of jeans that were two sizes bigger than me, slipped into them and they fitted. Did they fit well? NO. A large resounding NO. They were loose in the midsection and lacked any definition everywhere else.

Sighs.

I have lost all hope of finding a pair of mom jeans at the thrift store as a plus size gal. Maybe it's a good thing I'm jump starting my diet and exercise regimen again.

Speaking of which, if you're on Tumblr, definitely check out my food journal where I keep track of what I eat in a day. I'm hoping this will help me make better decisions about what I eat. Check it out here.

To all of my plus size gals out there, do you have any pointers/tips on how to thrift mom jeans?


Till next time,
s.j.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you see?

newer older Home